These balls of deliciousness are quick and easy to make, requiring no baking, and are packed with protein! One of the most common questions I am asked by moms, is for a good on-the-go snack that is healthy and filling. These kinds of quick snacks can also be challenging to find for families switching to a diet with less gluten, while still satisfying that “snacky sweet-tooth.” If you like peanut butter (or almond butter), chocolate, coconut, and something you can whip together fast; this is for you.
Pack them in a lunch box, diaper bag, or purse. They’re perfect for long days (and low blood sugar), or a power snack after a workout. Choco-Coco Oatmeal Almond Balls – yes, yes, and yes!
What You Need:
- 1 Cup Whole Almonds or Almond Flour
- 2 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (Gluten Free or Regular)
- 1 Cup Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Almond Butter or Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips (Enjoy Life – dairy, nut & soy free)
- If you don’t have almond flour on hand, finely grind almonds in a food processor until reaching a flour-like consistency (this is the healthiest and freshest way to start your recipe).
- Mix the almond flour, oats, coconut, and sea salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the water at room temperature.
- Drizzle the honey and coconut oil over the mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add the almond butter or peanut butter into the mix and stir as the texture becomes thicker and tacky.
- Finally, stir in the raisins and chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Using a standard spoon, scoop a tablespoon of the mixture at a time, and roll into a ball.
- Place them on a baking tray and refrigerate for at least one hour before enjoying!
*It is not necessary to refrigerate the Coco-Choco Oatmeal Almond balls, but this helps them set up better and stay together (as they travel with you on your commute).