If just looking at this picture makes you want to grab a cookie and try it, then just imagine how I felt with it sitting in front of me! I am always on the hunt for delicious new natural and homemade seasonal spreads for family gatherings and holiday parties. Years ago, I stumbled upon a pumpkin dip, which I perfected and served again and again, making it my own holiday crowd pleaser. Now I am upping the ante, upscaling to a cheese spread that pairs well with ginger snaps, crisp seasonal apples, as well as sea salt crackers.
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Stevia extract powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- orange food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the ricotta cheese, honey, butter, and stevia.
- Place the mixture in a pan over low heat, stirring often.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and continue to stir over low heat until liquid becomes hot and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat, continuing to stir often as mixture thickens. Refrigerate until serving.
- Garnish with cinnamon.
Here is my orange liquid concoction on the stove top. At first it seems thin, but the egg is really what thickens it as it sits over the heat.
This is the consistency the spread should reach by the end of the process. The delicate maple flavor pairs well with the ricotta, and is really brought to life when paired with ginger snaps or sea salt. Grab a glass of hot apple cider or red wine, and dig in!
And…if you’re feeling particularly adventurous, and looking for a compliment to the maple cheese dip, be sure to check out my Maple Cupcakes with Maple Frosting! Too much maple? Nonsense!